Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How you should not meet people

I had been heading home the other night from dropping off a friend Pat at his home. We live just a few blocks from each other so I had maybe 5 minutes in the car. Suddenly there was this teenager walking into the street with his arms up. No shoes on. I stopped and rolled down my window. "Please help me."

I talked to him a bit, he was drunk and scared. From what I gathered he had been at a house party and someone had been pushing drugs. He got scared and ran out the door. At first I thought he meant they had forced him to take something. I asked if he wanted to go to the hospital but he just wanted to get home and away from these people.

I let him in. He was Ty, a first year at the university and had moved to the city just recently from South Africa... hell of a change there. He didn't know anyone in the city and had met these people who took him to a party. He was upset about it all happening and just wanted to get home as soon as possible. He was also pretty embarrassed about having to ask a stranger for help.

I called Pat to let him know that I was giving a kid a ride to the other end of town... just in case. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. The most the kid did was slowly pass out but I kept waking him up before he slipped too low in his seat. I drove him all the way to his garage. Thankfully he had a code to get in and not a key because he left his jacket at the house party too.

Called Pat back and he was relieved to hear it went well and declared that I've won for strangest experience between our homes.

No comments:

Post a Comment